Kay Brothers

Kay Brothers

Kay Brothers Amery Vineyards are located in the haunches of the Southern Mt. Lofty Ranges in the Seaview sub region of McLaren Vale. The farm was established in the early 1850s by Richard Baker Aldersey and named after his birthplace in Hampshire, England. Seven acres of vines were planted in 1886. In 1890 the Amery property was purchased by Herbert and Frederick Kay, who, with cuttings from Hardy’s Tintara, set about planting “25,800 Shiraz, 5,000 Riesling, 10,000 Cabernet” on the relatively fertile mosaic of red loams, heavy clays and gravelly alluvial soils ironstone gravel.

A gravitational winery was built into a hillside using the latest designs available in 1895. First vintage was 1896. Third generation family member Colin Kay, who took over from his father Cud (Cuthbert) as winemaker in 1970 has gradually built up Kay’s Amery as one of the most important small wineries in McLaren Vale. With a strong and remarkable heritage and wonderful resources, Kay’s Amery has established itself again as one of McLaren Vales leading wineries

1 Item

per page

1 Item

per page